Monday, January 11, 2010

Interesting Shopping Experience

Path to Purchase
I tried Best Buy's "shop online, pick up in store" shopping model on Friday. I needed a new laptop, hadn't owned a computer (that worked) for years so I browsed bestbuy.com, found what I thought would work for me and then started doing some research online regarding the laptop in terms of specifications, user feedback and price.



The purpose of this post is to tout the model, not the brand Best Buy. Or maybe I should tout Best Buy because they do have this model. It was the most pain-free shopping experience I think I have ever had. Here's the model:

1. Found the product I wanted on their site.

2. I researched on other sites about the product. In particular I wanted pricing comparisons with other retailers/etailers, customer feedback and model specifications.

3. Once I made my decision to purchase the laptop, I then needed to decide whether to have it shipped or go to the store on my way home to look at it and purchase it. I decided to pick it up on my way home.

4. bestbuy.com offers a product availability function for its stores so I deteremined that they did indeed have the laptop in the store near my house.

5. I used the "pick up" option and filled out the required information.

6. Upon submission of the information, I received an email saying they would confirm that they had the laptop at their store and let me know that another email would be sent with that confirmation and instructions on how to pick up my purchase.

7. I received the second email shortly there after.

8. I drove to the store, presented the email (via my blackberry) to the store greeter.

9. Store greeter pointed me in the direction of the pick-up area.

10. I showed the clerk the email (via my blackberry)

11. The clerk retrieved my purchase, I signed some papers and out I went.

The in-store process took about 5 minutes.

I did a little research. This shopping model seems to be on the upswing and my shopper behavior is not rare.


The three graphs below tell the story:



























































No comments:

Post a Comment